Homecoming: Part 2
By: Robin Blackburn McBride
Ralph Waldo Emerson tells us the greatest accomplishment is to be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else. In his timeless essay, “Self-Reliance,” he warns of two common threats to going off track in our own creative mission and authenticity: 1) conformity, and 2) the “hobgoblin of a foolish consistency.”
Here are FIVE suggestions for surmounting both, and aligning with YOUR Inner Guidance System, authenticity, and the deep state of calm that is your true nature.
1. The next time you are tempted to drive or ride transit “like everyone else,” shift to a mindset that considers commuter time communion time. Here is an opportunity to commune with your Higher Self. What messages could you fill your consciousness with at as you travel? Uplifting audios are a real gift. Look for several coming soon to my website, and in the meantime, find audios that inspire you! Never has there been access to such uplifting and highly constructive messaging. Repetition is the key to fully absorbing and adopting new ways of thinking. Listen to the same helpful recordings repeatedly.
2. Learn to say “no” to requests that don’t align with your own purpose or values. This is particularly important for people-pleasers; many of us caregivers, consultants, coaches, teachers, and sales professionals fit this category. It’s okay to cut away from anything incoherent with your sense and vision of who you are and why you’re here. People will either understand, or they won’t. I love Jack Canfield’s advice: “What others think about you is none of your business.” For peace, follow your heart. Trust in choices that align with your core values, purpose, and integrity. Ultimately, those meant to connect with you will do so.
3. Be prepared to change any distracting habits that no longer serve you. Is your phone on and with you all the time? What would happen if you scheduled some unplugged time in your day? Multi-tasking can lead to merely skimming life when you long for DEPTH. Don’t miss the rich gift of experience this day offers by haphazardly flitting instead of purposefully committing to full engagement.
4. Use your schedule to create that “walk in the woods” in your mind and heart. You can be sitting at your desk and experience the calm of the forest and the fields. Your daytimer can be your best friend when you remember to schedule time for your own Well Being. Do you have a daily meditation habit? A take-a-break-for-fun habit? A routine (and yes, real actual) walk? For more on walking read here. Where are the free-making moments of your day? Writing them down is the first step in making them a) happen, and b) habit.
5. Release any habitual group encounters from your day that inevitably dial you down to joining in gossip and destructive criticism. Nothing good ever comes from this contractive state. Create from expansiveness, not fear. For more on shifting to a state of expansiveness read here. And here.
Here is one of my favourite quotes from Martha Graham – a woman who didn’t become a professional dancer until she was almost forty, performed and choreographed into her nineties, and one who transformed that art form and others’ lives by following Inner Guidance:
“There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, nor how valuable it is, nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open.”
You are here to be YOU. Nobody else can take your place, dance your dance, or sing your song. Say YES to your own inimitable life force, vitality, and expression. And if you’d like help identifying YOUR purpose and vision, and bringing your Dream to Life, contact me.
Saying “Yes” to receiving coaching support is a TRANSFORMATIONAL move.
Highly successful, conscious creators know the power of having a Mentor, a Vision, and a tried and proven Support Structure. In our work together, you have all three. And more.
Here’s to keeping the channel open!